Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The First Interview

 
 
 
The First Interview
Yiming Zhang
10/22/2012
Preparations for the interview
Before I interview, I look for some information about Saudi, such as where is it, how many population, and some culture. The most impotent thing is avoid some controversial subjects. My interview objective is comparing the difference and similarity between the culture in Saudi, China and the U.S. In addition, I want to know more about perception and daily life of Saudi Arabia.
How did you approach people?
The first interviewee is my friend, his name is Alhumoud Mohammed. We were classmate in IEC.
 
When, where, and how did you Conduct the Interview?
We have same class at Tuesday and Thursday morning. I asked him, if he has time to help me. We met in the library on Friday at 7pm. During the interview, I used the I-phone to record our conversation.
 
Whom did you interview?
I interviewed Alhumoud Mohammed. He is from Saudi Arabia. His major is Mechanical Engineering.
 
.Interview report:
I think we did well. For the beginning, I was very tense, but I preserved an appearance of nonchalance. In our conversation, we gradually get over the tense. During the interview, I know a lot of new information about Saudi.
 
Country Report
 
 

Saudi Arabia is the largest country in the Arabian Peninsula, near to the Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen. Desert accounts for about half of the country's surface area. “The total land area is 2,250,000 km2, The population of Saudi Arabia as of July 2010 is estimated to be 25,731,776 including 5,576,076 non-nationals.(1)”Saudi Arabia is divided into 13 provinces.


 
 

The interview:


Yiming: hi, how are you?

Alhumoud Mohammed: I’m good. How about you?

Yiming: good. My name is Yiming Zhang. Thank you for you coming to help me.

A: Welcome.

Y: Could you tell me about yourself? Like what is your name?

A: My name is Alhumoud Mohammed, I am from Saudi Arabia.

Y: Saudi Arabia, this is nice county. Could you please tell me about your county? Where is it?

A: My country is in the southwest of Asia, and near to the Kuwait, Oman, and Yemen. Also, we have a lot of oil, so some people will call my country is “Oil Kingdom” because the oil reserves and production rank is first in the world.

Y: yeah. I know it. Rich country. So I have question that is, your country is very rich, but also has many students study abroad, is your national education bad? Or other reason?  What is the difference in educational systems between your country and America?

A: oh, actually, we have oil, but not meaning we are rich. In my country, the government attaches importance to the education and training of personnel, also the introduction of free education. In addition, the government will give the allowances for college students who studying in Saudi or abroad. But a lot of schools themselves remain underfunded, and the quality of education remains poor.  In America, we can obtain free and high quality education resources and gain the capability to localize. In addition, various education resources are available to help us learn useful information in more systematic and deliberate way.

Y: I see. You know in my country, the educational system is Spoon-feed, too many teachers just Spoon-feed their students, so students like computer, then teachers Spoon-feed information to the computer. How long have you been in U.S?

A: I have been study in U.S 2 years.

Y: what is your major?

A: Mechanical Engineering.

Y: Your major is so difficulty to learn. And why did you choose to study at St. Cloud University?

A: Oh… because the IEC. You know it?

Y: yes.

A: My English is not good before I came to the U.S. So I studied the English skills in IEC. Also I have a bother and some friends studied and live here.

Y: I see. And what are you planning to do after school?

A: I will play soccer. You know? In Saudi Arabia, we will play soccer when we have free time. Soccer is most popular sport in Saudi Arabia. If during AFC or the Soccer World Cup time, we will spend a lot of time to watch competitions that is important to us. We also like play handball.

Y: Alhumoud, you know? Before the interview, I heard some culture about Saudi. In Saudi, does a man can marry with four women?

A: Yes. Usually, a man will marry one or two wife. This depends on the man is rich or not, because the husband must be fair to each wife. For example, if the husband has four wives, when he buys a car to a wife then he must buy other three same cars to other three wives. But if he does not buy other cars, he will be criminal.

Y: You know? In China, marriage is based on monogamy. If the people are polygamist, they will be criminal, and one family just can have one child.

A: Real? In my country, family can have unlimited children.

Y: Oh. I also have other question that is why all of the Saudi women clothing the kerchief?

A: because of the Islam Religion. In Saudi, women cannot contact with strange men, and when they outing, they need to wear black Abaya and veils. In addition, the young men and women are marriage by their parents. And young cannot found girlfriend or boyfriend in the past. But for now, some people’s mind is open, so they agree that is young can find their girlfriend or boyfriend, also when they want marry, they need parent’s consent.

Y: So the Islam Religion is major religion in your country?

A: yes.

Y: what are major holidays in your country?

A: Eid al-Fitr is major holiday in my country on all of the September.

Y: Could tell me something about the holiday?

A: We will change our eating habit on Ramadan.

Y: Excuse me. What did you say? What R@#~%^*(Ramadan)?

A: Ramadan. R-A-M-A-D-A-N. We will change our eating habit on Ramadan. Muslims dine before the sunrise and after sunset. Muslims cannot eating, drinking, and sex between sunrise and sunset. After sunset, everything is returned to normal.

Y: thank you. Is there anything you would like to add before we end our interview?

A: no.

Y: Thank you for your coming. Have a good day.

A: you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment