Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Interview 2


Preparations for the interview

When I read my classmates’ interview, I know what problem I have. For the second interview, I try to beat. I look for some information about Saudi, such as major religion, women in Saudi society, and other culture. My interview objective is comparing the difference and similarity between the culture in Saudi, China and the U.S. In addition, I want to know more about perception and daily life of Saudi Arabia. Before the meeting, I had ready to water and desserts

How did you approach people?

The second interviewee also is my friend, his name is Hassan. We were classmate in IEC.

When, where, and how did you Conduct the Interview?

We were meeting in Atwood on Friday at 7pm.We have same class at Monday afternoon. I asked him, but he didn’t come for first time. In the interview, I used the I-phone to record our conversation.

Whom did you interview?

I interviewed Hassan. He is from Saudi Arabia. His major is Mechanical Engineering.

Interview report:

I think we did well. I learned a lesson, so I changed some things in second interview. For the beginning, I look for some information about Saudi, such as major religion, women in Saudi society, and other culture. In our conversation, we gradually get over the tense. During the interview, I know more new information about Saudi.

Country Report
picture.1

Saudi Arabia is the largest country in the Arabian Peninsula, near to the Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen. Desert accounts for about half of the country's surface area. Saudi Arabia is divided into 13 provinces. Saudi Arabia is the “largest Arab state in Western Asia by land area, and the second-largest in the Arab world. It is bordered by Jordan and Iraq on the north and northeast, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates on the east, Oman on the southeast, and Yemen on the south”(1). In addition, Saudi has the world's second largest oil reserves are mainly concentrated in the Eastern Province.Oil accounts for more than 95% of exports and 70% of government revenue.”(2). And Saudi is also the world's sixth-largest natural gas reserves. Islam is the major religion in Saudi.The total land area is 2,250,000 km2, the population of Saudi Arabia as of July 2010 is estimated to be 25,731,776 including 5,576,076 non-nationals. (3)

 





 

 

 

H is Hassan

Y is me

 

Y: hello! Hassan, thank you of you coming. How are you?

H: ……Yeah. Good. And you?

Y: Good. Long time no see you. How is your class?

H: just so so. You?

Y: Me too. Some classes are difficulty. Hassan, what is your major? I saw you usually will walk in ECC, your major is about the engineering?

H: Yes, my major is mechanical engineering.

Y: Oh! It is too difficult to learn, is it?

H: Yeah. But I have interest in engineering.

Y: and why did you choose to study in St. Cloud State University?

H: ……I choose here, because…...before I came the U.S, my English is not good. I think we were same, we studied in IEC.  OH… and my uncle is living in city, I have a lot of friends study and live here.

Y: Nice. How is your feel for the class? So far?

H: is depend on the class, some difficult, some easy. How about you?

Y: me? Same to your. This semester, I take 17 credits, I feel a little busy. Do you have any plan after the class? You know I will play the poor.

H: you are nice. for me, I don’t like go outside, I just watch movies or play PC3 indoors.

Y: you didn’t play soccer? For my first interviewee, he told me, most Saudi guys like play soccer.

H: I like it, but I can’t, my shank was broke when I young. However, I still like watch soccer game.

Y: Sorry. I have question about why Saudi women usually will dress a veil?

H: We call the veil is $#@#@.

Y: what?

H: niqāb, N-I-Q-A-B. Women must wearing a niqāb and black robes when they outside because our religion. Saudi women always maintained the traditions and customs of Islam, and can’t contact with a strange man. The young men and women decided by the parents in marriage.

Y: yeah! I know it, the first interviewee told me about it, and I know a Saudi man can marry with four wives. But a man usually will marry with one or two wives. HO HO…

H: you know it.

Y: would please tell me more things about your culture?

H: ……In Saudi men wear white robes and wearing a white turban, pressing with black grommets. Many people like to wear red plaid scarf. Those with high social status in a white robe outside wear a black or gold yellow gold-rimmed yarn gowns, royal family members and chiefs wear this yarn gowns. In summer, all barefoot wear slippers, and in winter we will wear shoes.

Y: What are major holidays in your country?

H: we have two major religious holidays which are Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha. Eid al-Fitr holiday has seven days, Eid al-Adha as long as two weeks. Every year’s September is Islamic calendar; we call the month of Ramadan. Within 30 days of the holy month of Ramadan, in addition to the patients, pregnant women, nursing women, and the journey before sunrise, people are prohibited drinking water, eating from sunrise to sunset.

Y: O.

H: Eid al-Adha is also the day of the Hajj, from December 9 to December 12. The millions Muslims flock to Saudi Arabia, to the holy city of Mecca and Medina for the Hajj.

Y: A millions?
H: let’s me show you're a picture.

picture.3
 
 
Y: oh….so many people. And would please tell me something about your country's major religions?

H: Islam is our major religion. I can say in my country, every people is Muslim.

Y: Did you have some taboo? I know a few, such as the sole of the foot can’t face to people’s face.

H: Yes. We can’t smoke, drinking, and even sing and dance, because is a degenerate performance in Islam. Therefore, Drinker was arrested, to be publicly flogged 80, or imprisonment for 6 months to 1 year, while also imposes a fine.

Y: what? If someone or traveler want some alcoholic, how should they do?

H: I don’t know. In Saudi Arabia, all the restaurants and hotels do not supply alcoholic beverages.

Y: Thank you! Is there anything you would like to add before we end our interview?

H: No.

Y: thank you for your coming. Have a good day.

 


Picture3:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Supplicating_Pilgrim_at_Masjid_Al_Haram._Mecca,_Saudi_Arabia.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment